The awesome Natasha from the DJ duo DIRTY POGO will be kicking off the night with some sexy deep tunes at the next Trio Nova presents: LADIES TOUCH event in Pretoria. If you have not been to one of these super styling Trio Nova events yet, this one will be one you do not want to miss!! With a super sick line-up of some of the top female DJ’s in South Africa, mixed with the usual Trio Nova suspects and two big headliners!! We managed to have a chat with Natasha this week, let her tell you who Dirty Pogo is and what we can expect from them on the 30th Augusts, hope you enjoy:
Before we get started, do you mind introducing yourself, telling us where you are from and giving us a short background on how you got started in music?
I go by the name Natasha Alexis, coz thats my name lol. I am also one half of DJ duo Dirty Pogo with Geoff K. Music has always been in my veins. When i was a kid my dad did some part time aerobics instructing and had some strange music that no one else seemed to have, and would blast it loud when he fetched me from school. As i grew up i always found comfort in music. No matter my mood, music was always there to amplify it. When i was leaving school and went for aptitude tests i was told i should become either a game ranger or go into music… I picked music, and studied Sound Engineering. While in first year we were offered the chance to learn to DJ on vinyl, and I started out playing Hard Trance,shhhh dont tell anyone lol, I think coz it was easier to learn to play with, then swiftly moved across to Deep House, and the rest as they say is history.
- How would you describe your style of music?
Deep jackin house, with some tech and bassline influences
- Where do you take inspiration from in your music?
Mainly from my partner in crime, Geoff K, who is an amazing producer and gets promos from amazing labels and artists before anyone else. I also listen to podcasts of my favourite international DJ’ss/producers and of course following guys and girls on Soundcloud.
- What have been your biggest challenges in getting your name out their in such a competitive environment?
Just sticking to my guns musically and socially. In this industry it is a lot about who your friends are, and aren’t. I have been blessed to have made some great friends who have supported me and helped me to be where i am today.
- Our local deep house music scene has been growing in such a big way lately, what do you think are the positives at the moment and the reasons for the massive new appreciation for deep house in SA??
I think a lot of people are bored of the Big Room/EDM sound and are now looking for something more intimate and personal, and deep house music feeds the soul, and I feel, is one of the most personal House genres.
- Can you give us a few of your career highlights thus far?
There have been quite a few, but if I had to say… playing 9 H2Os, and Breakfest in Perth Australia in 2010.
- What track/Album are you pumping in your car these days?
I love to download the weekly podcast from Shadow Childs show on Rinse FM, so each week I get to hear fresh new tracks
- You are one of the acts playing at the Trio Nova presents: LADIES TOUCH on the 30th August… Are you excited for this and what can we expect from your set?
I have heard such great things about Trio Nova parties!!!! I know that real Deep House is what TroiNovians feed off of, so super keen to play a deep deep opening set.
- Are there any other projects that you are working on that we might be interested in hearing about?
Dirty Pogo is my main side project and always pushing to get appropriate gigs and promote Geoffs Music. A women’s job is never done.
- Where can we follow you on social media?