Oppikoppi is all done with so many good memories made, one of which was listening to Ballistic Blues LIVE and becoming their newest fan. They were by far the surprise act or gem if you like, from this years festival. We managed to have a chat with them, this is what they had to say:
photography by Nadia-Ward
– For those of us who have never heard of you before, please tell us about yourselves in a few lines…a bit of a background.
We are Cape Town based. Highly energetic 4-piece blues/rock band with fast paced tunes to get the crowd jiving. You’ll recognize us by our lead singer’s massive afro.
– Give us a bit of background on your name?
Well, we came from a party and our drummer said: “What about Ballistic Blues?”, and it just sort of stuck. I guess it probably has its roots in the fact that we all love the blues.
– Would you care to introduce us to the band members please.
The band consists of Nicholas (Nick) Forbes – lead vocals and rhythm guitar, Tyan Odendal – lead guitar and backing vocals, Jp le Roux – bass and Francois Keyser – Drums.
photography by Grethe-Rosseaux
– What would you say are some of your biggest influences and inspirations as a band?
Our influences vary widely, but mostly old school rock and blues. Beatles, Dan Patlansky, Deep Purple, The Doors, Stevie Ray Vaughan and of course Jimi Hendrix, to name a few. Oh and Nick loves Joni Mitchell.
– To date, what has been your best gig / achievement as a musician?
Oppikoppi! Of course playing at any big festival is always an honour and we’ve been privileged to play quite a few: Up The Creek, Utopia, Synergy and the Table Mountain Blues Summit to name a few. Another highlight has been co-winning the Rolling Stone Rockstarter band competition.
– You guys were amazing at Oppikoppi Bewilderbeast a week ago, being my surprise act of the festival, how did you guys enjoy the performance?
It was CRAZY!!!! Being able to play on one of the main stages was overwhelming and truly a dream come true! Everything about the show and Oppi was amazing, and seeing the crowd pull in and enjoying the show was beyond belief. We’d love to go again!
photography by Dee Theart
– Are you working on any other projects that we might be interested in?
We will soon start recording our debut album at VH Music – it is one of the Rolling Stone Rockstarter prizes. There’s also a music video in the pipeline. Musically Tyan and JP is also playing for indie band Dogtown, and Keyser is chilling with the older folk and making some Boeremusiek. We’ve recently done a cover for the Bluesbrakers Album that will be released soon.
– Where can people follow you guys?
– Finally, if you could open for any band/artist in the world, who would that be for?
Locally it would definitely be Dan Patlansky or Shadowclub. Internationally it would be John Mayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rolling Stones or the guys from Queen (if Freddie was still with us, of course).
GO GET A COPY OF THEIR EP RIGHT NOT!!!
Here is some of their music:
Also check this video taken by someone at Oppikoppi this year: