The Good folk who bring you OppiKoppi have sent us a little something to share with our readers. If you are new to the “Prawn Culture” this is definitely for you. If you are a veteran prawn, this is a good read too. Catch up with all things OppiKoppi right here
• If you have never been to OppiKoppi FIRST read the Terms of Endearment on the website or Facebook or App. Crucial info for surviving the festival and to pick up on what works and what doesn’t. And why.
For the dusted veterans
• Gates to the camp site opens on Tuesday at 9am. Please note: there is no access to the entertainment areas (read = no food stalls) until Thursday, so you have to be self-repellent for two days. Or something like that.
• Gates to entertainment area opens on Thursday at 9am. Every beast for him/herself.
• We have tweaked the layout a bit and added more dams, more water reticulation (to fight dust in the entertainment area) and to generally create a more open free experience. Let us know what you think.
• Standing resplendent on the second Koppi is a brand new double story Windhoek beer deck. It is open to anyone but you have to participate in their activities to get access. Probably the best view this side of the mighty Apies!
• Dustbowl Olympics: many of you complained that you missed the races last year. Fuckit we were not even sure they were going to happen. This year we are ready for you: They will be clearly communicated and will go in a circular route marked on the map. There are a few races, so pick your animal and let rip.
Here are the times:
Box Car race 16:00 On Friday
Boom Street 500 Naked Dash 12:00 Saturday
Running of the Bewilderbeats (Fancy dress) 14:00 Saturday
Wil(d)abong Surf Classic 16:00 Saturday
And here are the races and rules:
The annual Boom Street 500 Naked dash, with shoes on:
Must have shoes,
Must run naked.
Must have your own helpers at start / finish.
Must finish lap
Open to almost all males and females… (if you make other people feel bad/insecure by being naked or having better shoes we can kick you out.)
Introducing the first ever dustbowl carryable Boxcar race:
Must have carryable box car construction of some sort of description.
Must be human powered.
Must not be built for speed. Marks are given for good looks only (Both car and passengers gets judged).
Box cars must have cup holders.
No cap on number of people per vehicle (So a bus can work, but each person must have a cup holder).
Running of the BewilderBeast – “Oopketelstyl/Freestyle”:
Anyone in fancy dress or a onesy.
If you are not fancy dressed enough, you can’t run.
Bonus points for dressing up might lead to special prizes in this particular category.
Wil(d)Abong Dust road Surf Classic (For men and women without moustaches):
Bring your own friends and some rope. And a board without fins…
Bring your own board.
Tie with rope.
Has to be powered by other humans (no cars or other animals or any laaities from Wolmer are allowed to tow surfboards)
No fools! Oppikoppi cannot be held responsible for any injuries, einas, disabilities, disfigurations, etc.
Judge’s decision is final.
Pre-registration for all races will be organised an hour before each item. Limited numbers for each event. Pre-registering details at the festival. Winners get free entry to Oppikoppi 2014 and some beers. More news on this at the festival.
• Heritage site: OppiKoppi is 19 years old – can you believe that? Take time to see some of the heritage in the small bar, and spread some heritage of your own.
• Festival app: there is a full official festival app in the android/play and apple/ios stores. The app is updated with all programme changes etc.
• The beer drone app is only available in the the Android store for 2013. This entire gimmick is still very new, so we are taking it slowly with limited drones and only one or two in operation at any time. Please use it safely and let us have your feedback. Don’t mock the drones. Also let us know if the beer was still cold. Please send us your photos or clips. (look out for surprises).
• Dust car art: as in previous years your cars will be covered in dust on day 1. Use the time around the camp site to create finger art and send us the photos.
• Een man een boom: a new edition for this year is the introduction of the #Eenmaneenboom travelling camp site impromptu stage for prawns to give their all (or their best. Or just give something.) (or everything). If you have an instrument you can bring it along or just join the choir of prawns opening their hearts.
• The gods gave us Fokofpolisiekar and kept them together for 10 years: please celebrate this achievement with us comes Thursday night. Don’t hold back.
• We are trying a new cleaning mechanism: every person entering the festival will receive a black refuse bag. There will be bakkies circling the camp roads collecting the full bags throughout the festival. These guys are not allowed to go into the camp sites to pick up rubbish (As this will see most of our most valued guests and friends being removed on day one). They simply collect full bags.
• You can download a killer 44 tune Oppikoppi album in the iTunes store right now. The perfect way to line up for the festival. And less than R100. (We are still not sure how Just Music pulled that off but long may it last. No wonder it hit the top 10 download list in the first week…).
• Media24 digital OppiKoppi mag/app: for the FREE full high quality digitally enhanced OppiKoppi experience you can download this work of art. Have a look at the really fly mag our friends and media24 digital put together for us. (iOS and Tablet Android stores).
• The Weekend Beast: the official Oppikoppi newspaper and program for lo-fi prawns. For sale at R5 or free if you buy three Windhoek beers or three Captain & Cola’s. All the info, full program and bits and pieces.
• Promo shirt pick up: if you were one of the early bird ticket holders and have not collected your shirts yet, you can do so at the merch area. Just bring your ticket along. (i.e. print two copies as one will be taken at the gate) Or pick it up from the Billy Talent show.
• The good folk from Samsung have rolled out more charging stations than ever. So there is an opportunity to charge your phones. We strongly recommend leaving other valuables at home or locked away in your car somewhere. Also any friends without a sense of humour.
• OppiKoppi recommends downloading the Waze app for the trek to the festival and the exit migration. Please take part and make notes of congestion, road hazards, gendarmerie etc. Let’s get everyone in as safely and quickly as possible. Then lock up the gates and turn the amps to number 11.
• Take down this link now and paste it in your google maps app. The exit through Northam is often a nightmare around Sunday. If your car is able to handle a bit of standard fair dirt-roading find below a link for alternative ways of getting back to the R510 which is usually a lot quicker. (NOTE: there is LOTS of dust around the kalk mine, thereafter normal dirt road conditions.) http://goo.gl/qQJisZ
• Have fun, shed your skin and go wild. But be safe. Do not accept substances from strangers and help us keep dealers and hard drugs out of OppiKoppi. As always you can report strange behaviour to any of the security or safety personnel at all times.
OppiKoppi is cashless
• Like last year and the year before Oppikoppi is cashless. You can pre-buy vouchers to save time at the festival. Information on loading and exporting value at the event or on the back of your NFC card.
• You cannot use last year’s card for this year.
• If your ticket was not used we will refund you. Simple as that. Contact us post event.
• Don’t buy tickets from strangers or facebook/gumtree “friends” who cannot make it anymore. It is an expensive hobby which in the past, proved to be false tickets.
Free and fun stuff
• There are many many gimmicks and tricks to add value or get free stuff at the event. So look around and take part. Prior to the event look at this:
• Running for the 3rd or 4th year there is a fantastic Windhoek redemption scheme: arrive with a case of Windhoek (NB: And the till slip) and you can get a free Hoodie. While stocks last (But they doubled the order of hoodies after we ran out last year…)
Also bring your bottle of Captain Morgan (and till slip) and stand a chance to get some Captain Morgan Loot.
Wow! What a mouth full!! But at least now you will no excuse for not taking full advantage of everything happening at BewilderBeast. See you there!