- Hello guys, how you doing? Its awesome to be chatting to you again!!
Thanks, it’s been a while since our Sweet & Sour Vol.2 interview, so it’s good to be chatting to you again.
- 2014 seemed to have been a good year for Mr Sakitumi and The Grrrl… What were some of your favourite moments from last year?
We released Sweet & Sour Vol.2 while on tour in Europe (Berlin and Amsterdam) with our first vocal music video featuring The Grrrrl (and Mr Sharkitumi 😉 )
ADE 2014 (Amsterdam Dance Event) was also amazing to be involved in, via Ableton (Live being the music software I use). We were able to host an Artist Masterclass as part of their official playground space.
2 festivals we really enjoyed performing at last year were Oppikoppi and Sonár Festival Cape Town.
We’ve also had a great time being part of the PHFat and Mix n Blend extended band setups.
Mr Sakitumi: I’ve also been playing locally and internationally with Jeremy Loops, EJ von Lyrik and Zaki Ibrahim.
- What are your thoughts of our local music scene at the moment?
Our established artists continually work hard at their craft, pushing their music beyond our borders, exporting this scene. Lots of new acts popping up is also a good sign. Great support from audience & people behind the scenes (promoters, festivals, clubs, music journalists, taste makers etc) really help to strengthen SA music.
- 2014 saw some amazing new artists hit the scene, anyone that you think needs a special mention?
Mr Sakitumi: I really dig Bye Beneco. When I played a show with PHFat up in Jozi last year, they were on the same lineup. I saw them for the first time there and was immediately taken in by their sound and stage presence.
- How was the response to your EP’s, Sweet & Soul vol1 & 2, last year?
The tracks have been well received at live shows (also nice to have some bangers to play out).
Mr Sakitumi: I’ve had some cool feedback from people who really like the concept.
Grrrl: It was also great that the video for Mr & Grrrl (sour) was highlighted at the Short & Sweet Festival.
- So what do you have in store for us in 2015? We are very keen to see whats coming up next.
More music & videos, some art installations, video mashups, traveling, staying at home, walking our dog, the finishing of the vocal collab album and ice cream (preferably fruity sorbet).
- Is there any artist that we should keep an eye out for in 2015?
Mr Sakitumi: On the underground electronic scene, my friend, O’ltak just dropped ‘The Inner Hue’ which has a whole lot of really cool beats. I play with Jeremy Loops quite a lot these days and he’s definitely on the move to some bigger and exciting things.
Grrrl: I am currently collaborating with Faith47 on an exciting project. Nonku “Jungfreud” who features with PHFAT is super talented in her own right, keep a look out for her solo stuff. I also love her illustrations. An emerging artist is the amazing Tallulah Gray – she is the cute voice of a lot of our intros from a few years ago. She has taught herself guitar off YouTube and although very young is already popping up with solo gigs around Cape Town. Find her on YouTube
- Are there any other major projects that you are working on that we might be interested in hearing about?
Apart for the stuff mentioned above we are also releasing Closet Snare’s new album this year and our own full length album with music videos
And of course our site
Thankutuyu for your time too