We caught up with this epic band for a short chat ahead of Park Acoustics this weekend, this is what they had to say:
Interview: Tidal Waves
- Hey guys, super rad to be chatting to you, how you doing?
We’re great thanks. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us.
- Do you mind starting with a quick 101 on who TIDAL WAVES are? Where in SA are you from and how did you get started in the music scene?
Tidal Waves is Zakes Wulana on vocals and guitar, Charlie Papasha on keys,Charlie Mathopa on bass and Sphiwe Kubone on drums.Originally from North West (Klersksdorp) and the band started in 1998.
- Where did you guys all meet, to form the band?
We were in Yeoville being buskers in the fleamarkets then start getting more serious. Things evolved from there
- What are some of your musical influences?
South African music! Bands like Harari were very influential and inspire Tidal Waves’ music, then Bob Marley, Pink Floyd,Petrochemical Framton ,Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry.
- Do you have any major highlights in your musical career thus far?
Our highlight would definitely be backing Ziggy Marley in 2010. It introduced us to all the world reggae lovers.
- What are your thoughts of our local music scene at the moment?
Local music scene is in a bad state, live venues getting closed, festivals getting smaller.
- Any acts/bands/artists that you think need a special mention?
Yes, BCUC is doing well and their music reaches the masses.
- You will be playing at the final Park Acoustics event of the year…. Are you excited for the gig? What can we expect from your set?
Yes, we just can’t wait and Waves will be blazing bringing back Mr Mans on the Guitar.
- Anything else you currently working on that we may be interested in?
The band is on studio now recording our 7th album. Soon,soon.
- Where can people follow you on Social Media?
We on Facebook Tidal Waves
- Thanks for your time.