THE KIFFNESS makes jazzy, groovy and uplifting house music and is fast becoming one of South Africa’s favourite live electronic acts. From the beginning of 2013, founder and brainchild David Scott has had great success in the South African music industry, racking up a total of 3 SAMA nominations and 10 singles play listed across national radio stations – all of which have reached top 10 status in the Top 40 charts.
Dave Scott founded the project in early 2011 when he arrived in Cape Town to pursue a career in music. During his studies at Rhodes University, Dave played a handful of instruments in multiple bands while also DJing at a couple nightclubs. Upon arriving in Cape Town he was ready to use his experience in both live and electronic forms of music and fuse them to form a live electronic act.
From it’s relatively humble beginnings, Dave made his way from bedroom producer to building his own studio and becoming one of South Africa’s most reputable producers. He has collaborated with some of South Africa’s leading artists including Tresor, Shortstraw, Moonchild, Samuel Miller and Mathew Gold. With THE KIFFNESS’ success on radio, the project has gained major momentum and the group has had the opportunity of playing headlining slots at some of South Africa’s most reputable festivals such as Rocking the Daisies, Splashy Fen and Park Acoustics to name a few.
They’ve also played international shows in the Seychelles, Lesotho, Swaziland (Bushfire), Zimbabwe (Vic Falls Carnival) and Vietnam. Saxophone and synth extraordinaire Raiven Hansmann joined Dave for live shows in early 2017. Before joining forces with Dave on stage, Raiven had played a major role behind the scenes in co-writing a couple of THE KIFFNESS’ tracks. Friend & collaborator Mathew Gold has also joined the band in the live format for a couple of shows, adding a 3rd dynamic to the live shows.
What sets THE KIFFNESS apart from most electronic acts is their tangible instrumental talent. What’s more is that they are great performers, so crowds can expect nothing short of a huge vibe.
THE KIFFNESS MEMBERS:
David Scott – Production | Keys | Trumpet | Social Media
Joining Dave for the Live Show:
Raiven Hunter – Sax | Keys
Mathew Gold – Vocals
Mvelo Shandu – Bass (2011 – 2013)
Clem Carr – Sax | Keys (2014 – 2016)
Interview: The Kiffness
- Hello guys, how is everyone doing today? Kiff? 😉
- I’m so excited to be chatting to you, absolutely love your music and your social persona! Life is way to serious but The Kiffness know just how to make you laugh. Can we get started with a short introduction to the band members of The Kiffness?
- How/Where did you guys meet up to form this form The Kiffness?
- I remember going to an Oppikoppi about 4/5 years ago and randomly stumbling into one of those smaller stages, where i got to experience The Kiffness live for the first time… It was majestic!! Do you guys take pride in your live performances and making the crowd dance?
- Can you give us a short background on the name The Kiffness? (I know that its Kiff bru)
- You have recently released your latest album, Soul Safari, which is your 4th studio album. It debuted at #2 on the iTunes Pop charts upon release and has come after huge success from your previous albums. What can people expect from this album? Is there any underlining message in the music from Soul Safari?
- Where do you guys take inspiration from in your “sound”?
I think being in Cape Town has a huge influence on the music I make. It’s a strange thing that happens – I feel like the physical landscape you find yourself in almost curates the landscape for your mind. (See video for Soul Safari) I’m also inspired by different cultures.
- Our local scene has been growing positively over the past few years… What are your thoughts on our local music scene at the moment and if there is anything you wish to see happen differently?
- Are there any local acts that you think need a special mention?
- Besides being an incredible musician and producer, you (Dave) are any publicists dream client, with your tongue and cheek persona, quirky take of current affairs and all round tomfullery. Is your social media persona a big part of your fame? Is the character we see on social media the person you are?
- Talk about social media, where can we follow The Kiffness on Social media?
- Thanks for your time guys…!!
*** Photo Credits: Tyler Walker ***
Earlier this year, THE KIFFNESS released their 4th studio album, SOUL SAFARI – which debuted at #2 on the iTunes Pop Charts upon release.
“A lot has happened in South Africa over the last three years. I have made a deliberate effort to make songs addressing issues surrounding my own privilege as well as racial tensions in South Africa. I was also deliberate in collaborating with African artists, because while the system keeps dividing us, musicians from different walks can come together and show that something beautiful happens when we work together. I also got married last year and so the first half of the album explores the lessons and complexities of love and self-discovery.”
– David Scott.
SOUL SAFARI is available on iTunes HERE.