This weekend sees the 2nd edition of the Malkop Summer Rock Festival, which includes some of the coolest rock n roll bands in SA. One of the bands that will be bringing their own flavour of garage punk to the festival is 5-piece Garage Punk band from Cape Town, Runaway Nuns. We caught up with them for a short chat, this is what they had to say:
Interview: Runaway Nuns
MA: Hi guys… it is such a pleasure to be featuring you guys on the site!! Is everyone doing well today?
-Hey there thanks for having us it’s an absolute honour, we’re all good thanks you, our drummer (Papa Pj) is not so good though, he’s very grumpy today.
MA: Before we get started, can you please introduce us to the members of Runaway Nuns, tell us where you come from in SA, and give us a short background on how you came together to form the band?
-Hi my my name is Sean “california sand” Baron, and i’m a home proud young man from the sunny hills of plumstead. I sing lead vocals and play the guitar like a nordic god.
– Awe im Magic Melvin and I like to party. I play lead guitar, I’ve got fingers made of lighting and legs like jelly.
– Helloooo My name is Sihle I was born in jhb and blossomed in cape town, I play bass and I like to shout, sometimes people call me the Nipple Tickler even though it hurts my feelings.
– Pj: Hi
– Hello Im Noah “the kap” Kaplan im from the countryside and I smash the tambo like I smash oranges on a warm summer’s day.
-The name came to us in a dream, we all share the same dreams every night. Collective dreaming is the official term.
-We only have one true inspiration, and that is the sonic soundscapes of the man the legend the myth Mr Bruce Springsteen
-Yeah you’re totally right, the scene has been growing at a steady pace for the last little while, we just wish we had more venues to support the new talent. People get sick of going to the same places all the time, we need more pop up spaces like the pit, we’re still super bummed we never got to play there.
– If you get a chance go check out the merms, they’re a bunch of scumbags from outer space, and they’re music will melt your earholes into oblivion.
– YES we are super excited it’s our first festival so it’s kind of a huge deal for us, we turned down a show with Johnny Clegg for this. What can you expect? Lots of noise and some smooth psychedelic vaaabs to caress you into submission.MA: Anything that you guys are currently working on that we would be interested in hearing about?
– Well we just dropped our first EP on bandcamp (please go buy it so we can eat) , it will be out on all major platforms very soon, we are also planning a little trip to lands unknown, so keep an eye/ear out for that.
-You can find us on Facebook under Runaway Nuns,