This Sunday sees the very first Park Electric take place. Still your favourite local day event but this time its a showcase of some of the country’s best electronic acts, featuring TIMO ODV, PHFat, The Kiffness, Napalma, Apple Gule and Luma as well as a Summer House stage! We had a chat with Mike from PHFat, this is what he had to say:
Photo Credit: Willem van den Heever
- Hey Mike, rad to be chatting, how you doing?
Fantastic thanks, I just recovered from a spot of food poisoning, and the family dog died last week which makes it sound like things are shit but actually I find getting better from food poisoning is always quite a relief. It’s kind of like the opposite of when your nose gets blocked and you sit there thinking “god damnit I remember when I used to be able to breath through my nose… what a pleasure that was…”
- Do you mind starting with a quick 101 on who Smooth Mike from PH Fat is and where in SA are you from?
My name is Mike. My rap name is Smooth Mike. I’m obsessed with Rap music and Pop music and psychology. When I’m not thinking about those things I really enjoy running up mountains and sometimes on the promenade.
I also value my friendships dearly and spend a lot of time coaxing my friends into having fun with me. Fun activities include: unreasonably long walks and doing things sober that other people do when they are drunk.
- What are some of your musical influences?
There are lots and they’re always changing. Right now I really dig pop music. My homie Omri has started making music with me quite a lot and he is also obsessed with pop music. SZA and Kendrick Lamar and Zak Abel and the Spice Girls and Calvin Harris. Oh and also Blu and Exile.
- Is the sound you pushing now along the same lines as before?
Yes and no. Any musician is inextricably linked to the sound that they make. If it stays the same it’s because you are staying the same. No one likes a person who stays too much the same. At the same time no one like s a person who completely changes who they are the whole time. The music I’m working on at the moment is very much an evolution to where I’ve come from. It’s very different in some respects but still me. There are days when I wish it was a complete revolution but alas. I am still me.
Photo Credit: Jh Bartlett
- Do you have any major highlights in your musical career thus far?
It still just blows my mind that I manage to get by making music. Daisies last year was really special too.
- What are your thoughts of our local music scene at the moment?
I dig it. It’s pretty scary for a local musician cos the landscape keeps shifting but its keeping me on my toes and I love it.
- Any acts/bands/artists that you think need a special mention?
Desert_Head and Omri Dahan both fucking rock.
Other special mentions include: Nicholas Van Reenan’s new project which I don’t think I’m supposed to have heard yet. and I don’t know the name of. And Beat Sampras. and Langa Mavuso. and Zoe Modiga
- You will be playing at the first Park Electric, in Pretoria…. Are you excited for the gig? What can we expect from your set?
I’m gonna bring 10000000% of my energy
- Anything else you currently working on that we may be interested in?
a new album (Sh don’t tell anyone)
- Where can people follow you on Social Media?
On the internet. Use google. Type PHFAT.