Cape Town based DJ/Producer duo, Pascal & Pearce, are already one of South Africa’s most loved local acts, with many successful tracks and live performances under their belt. Recently being names as one of the acts to perform at the debut of Tremor Festival, alongside DAVID PUENTEZ (germany), Pascal & Pearce are never far from peoples minds, establishing themselves as one of our very best local musicians.
We had a chat with them about the festival, as well as about some of their new music, this is what they had to say:
- Hello Gents, rad to be chatting to you, how you doing today?
P&P: Hahaha Jethro is always invited! But no we haven’t really thought about that much – if anything, something chilled 🙂
- Do you mind starting with a quick 101 on who Pascal & Pearce are? Where in SA are you from and how did you get started in the music scene?
P&P: Sure – we’re a DJ/Producer duo, based in Cape Town. We started working together in 2007, by 2008 Pascal & Pearce was officially born! 2011 we got our first record deal, and we’ve been going strong ever since.
- What are some of your musical influences?
P&P: Way too many to mention – we both come from such diverse musical backgrounds. Pascal was DJaying at 15, Dave was playing drums in a punk band around the same sort of time… so yeah, there’s a ton of stuff we draw influence from. We spend a lot of our personal time listening to random stuff – old rock, reggae, classical… all sorts of stuff!
- Do you have any major highlights in your musical career thus far?
P&P: Yeah we’ve been super blessed so far – some of our more memorable highlights have been signing our first record deal, signing a track to Spinnin Records in the Netherlands, signing with Universal Music… Mostly signing stuff hahaha. We’ve also worked with a few people who were like childhood idols to us, so that’s been pretty cool.
- What are your thoughts of our local music scene at the moment?
P&P: Amazing! It’s truly flourishing. So many guys doing us proud overseas, so much good music coming out all the time. So much fresh South African flavour, Gqom is super catchy hahaha! But yeah, it’s a really cool time to be a part of the SA music scene.
- You also recently released a new single with Johnny Apple, entitled Lose Control. How did this collaboration and choice with whom to collaborate come about?
P&P: We did, we’re really stoked with how it came out. Our publishers Sony ATV put us in contact with Johnny a while ago – he’s a super talented guy, so we were really happy to work with him! We worked on the track for ages – it was a really fun project.
- Your single before this one with Jethro Tait, Runnig Wild is almost platinum certified. When one of your songs does so well, do you feel pressure when you release new work or does that not really bother you?
P&P: No, not really – Lose Control is our tenth single release. Some have been more amazing than we could’ve imagined, a couple didn’t even make it to the charts. We don’t let stuff like that concern us too much though, we just focus on the music and making sure that it’s authentic to us.
- Any acts/bands/artists that you think need a special mention?
P&P: Locally, there’s some real fire at the moment. Just off the bat, mad respect to Kyle Watson for what he’s doing, super cool to see. Black Coffee, obviously. Goldfish. And also really enjoying Majozi’s stuff – he’s got some amazing songs.
- You will be performing at Tremor Festival, making its debut in SA, alongside international act DAVID PUENTEZ (Germany), as well as many talented local acts. Are you excited for this gig? What can we expect to hear from you in your set?
P&P: Yeah definitely, it’s going to be a wild one! Set wise, we’ll see closer to the time. But you can definitely expect a banging set littered with original tracks and edits we’ve done, we’ll definitely keep you moving 🙂
Date: Saturday, 18 August 2018
Venue: Voortrekker Monument, Pretoria
Entrance: R180 – R360
Tickets: Plankton https://bit.ly/2yjrtab
Facebook Event: https://bit.ly/2I1MfL8
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/tremorfest
Line-Up: David Puentez (Germany), Chris Taylor, Pascal & Pearce (Cape Town), Chunda Munki, VIMO, Austin Cassim and Ricardo da Costa!
- Anything else you currently working on that we may be interested in?
P&P: Yeah we’re working on a few remixes at the moment, and there could potentially be another project with Jethro somewhere down the line. So yeah, keeping busy – but new music coming soon!
- Where can people follow you on Social Media?
P&P: All our social media stuff is @pascalandpearce!