Just look how awesome these craft beer cans look! This is the international brewing company called Mikkeller, who are bringing a cool new twist to the ago old past-time of beer drinking. Launching recently in South Africa, this trend setting brewery exports to over 40 countries worldwide. We got in there for a short chat, ahead of the Capital Craft Beer Festival this weekend, this is what they had to say:
- Hello Guys, it’s a pleasure to be chatting to you. Everyone doing well?
We’re doing great! Thank you for reaching out for a chat.
- Would you mind giving us a quick introduction to Mikkeller, tell us where in SA are you from and how the brewery got started?
In 2006, Denmark native and Mikkeller founder Mikkel Borg Bjergsø was a physics teacher with a passion for hops, malt and yeast. Today, Mikkeller exports beers to 40 countries and is widely recognised as one of the most innovative and cutting edge breweries in the world. In late 2017, Mikkeller South Africa launched. We’re a new member in a growing family of Mikkeller breweries all over the world.
- How many years has Mikkeller been around for?
Mikkeller South Africa was launched late last year after we did a collaboration with Devil’s Peak Brewing Company.
- What are the beers that you offer at your brewery?
We currently have two beers on offer!
Capenhagen New England IPA – Overwhelmingly punchy aromatics from a combination of South African and American hops. Passion fruit from Southern Passion and crisp fruit salad from African Queen. Notes of juicy orange and citrus with a refreshing hoppiness and medium-low bitterness. Dank with a smooth and luscious mouthfeel.
Peter, Pale and Mary – Hazy, smooth and packed with punchy hop character. Bright notes of citrus and tropical fruits supported by a light caramel sweetness. Refreshing!
- What have been some of the major challenges for your brewery over the years?
While the South African branch of Mikkeller hasn’t been around for too terribly long, we’ve been focusing on getting the word out! Our mission is to challenge the concept of what good beer is and should be. As we grow, we’re hoping to bring this message to the masses.
- Micro-Breweries and locally made beer is fast becoming in demand and highly attractive. How have you seen the change in mind-set of our local beer drinking South Africans over the past few years?
The South African scene is growing at a really incredible scene. People are starting to wrap their heads around the fact that beer doesn’t have to be one dimensional. Just because you like lager doesn’t mean you can’t also like an IPA or a sour beer. We’re very excited to see where we’ll be in five years!
- You will have a stand at the Capital Craft Beer Festival this year, are you excited for the festival?
- Let’s make a prediction… which of your beers would be the best seller on the day?
Going to have to go with Capenhagen on this one. Our New England IPA is probably our most popular beer here in SA at the moment!
- Thank you for your time.
Thanks so much for having us. We’ll see you at the fest!