Image Credit: Frans Borman
We are 2 days away from celebrating Park Acoustics 8th birthday in Pretoria. With a host of incredible acts that Park Acoustics have hosted over the past 8 years, we can only but congratulate them on what they have done for the industry and all the musicians they have booked along the way. One of the acts that have played at Park Acoustics before and who will be there to celebrate their 8th birthday is Pretoria band, Late Night Fox. Lets get to know them a little better:
After taking a 6 month break to write and record new music in 2015, Late Night Fox put the release of their recordings on hold, and embarked on a series of self-coordinated events called Townsound. The ongoing events bring together diverse line-ups with a particular emphasis on fresh sounds and culturally sensitive music. The band will release their debut self-titled EP in 2016, with plans for more events and video releases to follow.
Late Night Fox have been playing live since 2012. To date they’ve only released a few singles and music videos, however the band has spent much of the last 4 years developing and crafting their sound. This sound can be characterized by a non-exclusive approach to music-making, taking its influences from – but not exclusive to – 90’s house music and electronica, Afrobeat, and indie rock bands the world over. The sounds are eclectic, gritty and bass-driven, yet atmospheric and beat-heavy.
Noteworthy live performances include Park Acoustics (2013, 2015, and 2016), Smoking dragon Festival 2014, IMPAC Film Festival 2015, and most recently the main stage at Mieliepop Festival 2016. Late Night Fox have shared the stage with some exciting young South African bands including The Brother Moves On, Bye Beneco, Urban Village, Sol Gems, BCUC and Beatenberg to name just a few.
Late Night Fox are based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Interview: Late Night Fox
- Hello all.. how is everyone doing today? We are very excited to be featuring you on our platform.
Howzit bra, lekka, thanks for having us..
- Before we get started, can you please introduce us to the members of Late Night Fox, tell us where in SA you are from and how you all met to form the band Late Night Fox?
We are all from Pretoria, we met at school, in backyards, and in nightclubs. Dani Bakkes is our beautifully talented vocalist. Ludolph Malan is our less beautiful, but equally talented bassist, keyboardist, and backing vocalist. Will Ferreira is our guitarist, sonic manipulator, and the smart one. Brendon Erasmus is the drummer and occasionally gives everyone in the band a lot of shit. And beats.
- What are your influences and inspirations as a band to the ’sound’ that you create? Do you look up to international artists for inspiration?
We love all kinds of music from all over the world. Our influences are vast and not genre-specific. We play what we feel. Sometimes it’s pure kak, and sometimes it works. Of course we are inspired by other artists, but melody and beat are sometimes found in your fridge, in traffic, in good times and bad times. Inspiration is everywhere and nowhere if you’re not swiched-on.
- Can you give us a short background on the name Late Night Fox?
I think we just did.
- What have been some of your highlights as a band?
Trying to navigate the local music scene for the last five years has been a highlight in all of our lives I’m sure. As a band we’ve travelled not-too-far, met many new faces and characters, and had a pretty good time doing it.
- Our local scene has been growing positively over the past few years… What are your thoughts on our local music scene at the moment and if there is anything you wish to see happen differently?
Indeed it has. We would love to see more support for the scene in general, but we understand people are people and they too have their own lives to navigate. As far as the scene goes, we would like to see club and festival promoters engage bands and musicians with more respect, pay them what they deserve, and pay them on-time.
- Are there any local acts that you think need a special mention?
John Wizards; 340ml (RIP); Jellapiep; Project ELO; Dangerfields;
- You will be playing at Park Acoustics 8th birthday this month… Are you excited for this gig? What can we expect from your live set on the 21st May?
- Anything that you guys are currently working on that we would be interested in hearing about?
Half of Late Night Fox are currently working on a new project called The Great Yawn. Be on the lookout for that soon.
- Where can we follow you on Social media?
- Thanks for your time guys…!!