Les Afrique & AB, the guys behind the household name and musical movement, HOUSEHOLD FUNK, have been in the industry for many years, bringing us some of the biggest events and most pumping dance floors ever seen in SA! They stared the deep house movement many years ago, being seen as pioneers in the game and still going strong. They have been hard at work over the last couple of years, with the inclusion of APOLLO (also known as Chris Sen), working on their debut full length album titled DEEP REVIVAL. Having the opportunity to hear a few of the tracks already, I can tell you that this album will be one of the hottest albums that you will hear in 2014. This is an absolute GEM!!! This week they will be launching the album, with two shows filled with an incredible live-up of SA’s hottest deep house DJ’s. Here is all the info you need, as well as a short interview we did with Les & AB… hope you dig it!!!
- Before we get started, can you please give us a quick 101 on HOUSEHOLD FUNK, where and when you got started and how you met APOLLO to create this album together?
Household Funk have been together (Ab and Les) for the past 8 years, working together to create parties for the masses because the clubbing scene was in a terrible state. From there we started getting booked more and more and our brand started growing. Setting the bar for parties in Jhb.
We always knew of Chris (Apollo), we would drop his tracks over the years. A few years back, S.A producers were far a few between. We actually approached Chris/Apollo to do a colab. Which turned into a joined 17 track album.
- You guys have all been around for quite some time, how has the local music scene grown over this time for you guys? Are we moving in the right direction? What would you say are some of the positive factors for this?
Well firstly we like that you want the positives out of the scene, and not the usual negatives. The Local house scene has exploded!! Dj/Producers are starting to work together instead of against each other. This will only expand the spot light on our local scene.
- You guys are about to drop you much anticipated album, DEEP REVIVAL, which has been a long time coming…. How has it all come together in the end? Are you guys happy with the final product?
It has come together nicely, infact, better than expected. We couldn’t be more proud of the final product, and we need you all to know that this is just the beginning.
- Where do you guys take inspiration and influence from on this album?
We took inspiration from the people on the dance floor. We wanted to put out tracks not for radio, fame or money. But to rock at our gigs on the regular.
- You guys have collaborated quite a bit on this album. What were some of the difficulties? Or did everything just work out smoothly in the end??
It was a process, we chose L.a Cruz and Trademarc because they are doing it right at the moment. In terms of challenges, there were non. We worked separately on the same product with the same vision, so it all worked out beautifully.
- Any tracks that you guys predict to be the BIG HITTERS?
We predict “One for One” with Mathew Gold and “There’s something” with Tasha Baxter to have potential to chart on our local stations. But we besides that, we can single out any other track on the album as we are in love with them all.
- So you guys will be launching the album on the 20th November at Tiger Tiger in Pretoria and the 23rd November at Nicci Beach Ultra Lounge… What can we expect from these two events???
You can expect the freshest beats from the freshest Dj’s at both events as well as a crowed that is ready to dance. That’s all, nothing else. Just there to dance!!
EVENT INFO: https://www.facebook.com/events/386764871487841/
EVENT INFO: https://www.facebook.com/events/673735376073464/
- Is there a plan to do more launch parties around the country?? Maybe in Durban or Cape Town??
We are going to do a CPT Launch early next year and the Durban launch we are working on something.
- Are there any other projects that you are working on that we might be interested in hearing about?
The There are always projects on the go, for example Les AfriQue has just finished a remix for Just Move Records, to be released next month.
- Where can we follow you on social media?
You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and give our web site a click or two
- Thank you so much for your time, GOOD LUCK with the album launch and future endeavors