TanZzanite is a very talented you lady, with the world at her feet. She keeps company with some very talented artists, like Jullian Gomes, AtJazz and Michael G, as the booking agent for Phoonshal Creative Entity. She plays all over SA, entertaining crowds big and small, making the dance floor a mesmerising, soul-moving place. You can catch this lovely lady on the 29th of August at Trio Nova: LADIES TOUCH. We had a short chat with her, this is what she had to say:
MA: Hi Thandi, its really nice to chat to you, how you doing?
- Hi Nelson. I am doing great thanks, I hope you are well too 🙂
MA: Can you tell us about yourself? How you got started in DJ’ing, to where you are now?
- How I started dj’ing, everything happened by chance actually. My brother was playing a gig at a club and the manager randomly approached me and asked if I would be interested in entering a female dj competition called Sisters of Spin. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I obliged. I made it through to the semi finals and was encouraged not to stop. I entered another competition and ended up being the only female dj winner. A few months later I auditioned to be part of Lady Lea’s agency Divas on Decks. I made it through and signed a 2 year contract with her. I guess as they say, “the rest is history”
MA: How would you describe your ‘sound’?
- It’s a bit difficult to describe my sound. I wouldn’t say I stick to just one form of house music, although, I’ve really found a love for deep house. When I started dj’ing, I played a lot of commercial house. But as I grew and started listening to different things, I mostly stuck to deep house/deep tech. I guess “my sound” at the moment has predominantly been deep tech. That’s what I enjoy playing the most.
MA: Our local scene has been growing over the past few years… what are your thoughts of our house scene and what do you think we can still improve on?
- The house music scene is definitely growing in my opinion. I think we have such a diverse scene in South Africa, and there’s something for everyone. With less egos, less politics and everyone trying to one-up one another, we can definitely improve. This industry is not an easy one. Your talent is just one thing – you need to respect yourself, as well as your craft – there’s a lot that needs to be taken into consideration. However, there is always room to grow and learn more.
MA: You are playing at Trio Nova: LADIES TOUCH on the 29th August, are you excited for this event?
- I’m really excited for the next LADIES TOUCH. It’s really cool to play alongside other respected female dj’s. I’ve been to a few Trio Nova parties, but this is my first time playing at one, so I’m really looking forward to it.
MA: What can we expect from your set?
- Some deep tech, of course. But I don’t want to give too much away, you’d just have to be there to hear for yourself 😉
MA: Anything that you are currently working on that we would be interested in hearing about?
- I am currently a booking agent at Phoonshal Creative Entity. I do artist bookings for 6 artists – 2 international artists and 4 local artists. It’s really exciting for me as it’s a different side to the industry I’m already in. I’m eager to grow within the company and learn much more.
MA: Where can we follow you on Social media?
- People can get in touch with me via my social media pages below:
MA: Thanks for your time guys…!!
- Anytime 😉
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/387357088129564/