Today sees the official release of the brand new EP by GANGS OF BALLET, entitled FORM & FUNCTION, PART 1. The EP is a first in a triptych of EP releases by the band, following the release of their debut album (yes/no/grey.) in 2013. The first single from the EP, Always, was released in August this year.
The EP was written over the course of the past year, produced by Denholm Harding, engineered by Brendyn Rossouw and recorded at Universal Music’s studios in Rosebank, Johannesburg.
The band has been interested in the Bauhaus movement which revolved around the re-invention and re-purposing of art and function. With Hardus De Beer leaving the band early 2015 and their becoming a 3-piece, they found themselves undergoing a process of re-invention and adapted the Bauhaus principle of ‘form follows function’ to the band. Thus the name of the EP – “Form & Function”.
“We like the idea of progress. As people we all change so much in a year of living so it’s a natural thing for your art to do the same.”
Form & Function, Part 1 is the first part of the collection and a transition of songs – it features signature GOB elements, such as their anthemic choruses, whilst also being more synth and electronically focused. Sonically it’s a departure from their previous work and pushes their live performance into a different space.
“We are really excited to finally have something fresh out there that’s the first part of a very big project! It’s the first step of a journey that already feels so good to us. Fans can expect a bit of the old and new; it’s got legs live and we can’t wait to play it for you.”
Interview: GANGS OF BALLET
MA: Hi gents, its really nice to chat to you again, how are you doing?
– Hi there. Feeling fantastic thanks.
MA: For those that dont know you well, would you please start off with a short background on who GANGS OF BALLET are, where do you come from and how you came together to form the band?
– Well originally four but very recently now a three piece band straight out of the amazing Durban City. Played our first show together April 2011 after two years of practice. Been one long van ride from show to show ’til now and loved every minute.
MA: Do you mind introducing the members?
Brad Klynsmith- vocals, guitar
MA: What have been some of your influences and inspirations as a band as to where you get your ‘sound’?
– It’s all super diverse to be honest, we’ve all studied a bit of jazz and Josh has a degree in Jazz yet we play anthemic rock I guess. We only have a few over lapped bands that we all like and I think that’s why we have the sound we do.
MA: Has your ‘sound’ changed at all over the last few years?
– Yeah it has and it’s been on purpose, we love the idea of progress. Just as human beings we change for the better or worst in just a year, we’re ever transforming and so should our music.
MA: What are your thoughts on our local music scene currently? Anything you think that can improve?
– Well it feels like the entire industry is in flux and the local scene as well. There are fewer and fewer venues across the country yet there are more festivals than ever before and both have their pro’s and con’s. There’s a hand full of cool bands sticking there hands up but their competition isn’t coming from other bands, it’s coming from DJ’s. Kids are learning to program beats before they learn to play guitar now days. I think the best way to help the scene is to go to shows and enjoy live music and be a part of investing into the local talent. A brilliant solution is also instituting music and government subject at school level before the art of music gets lost to a machine.
MA: You are about to release your latest EP, the first after your debut album Yes/No/Grey. What can we expect from this EP and where can people get themselves a copy of it?
– Tt’s a transition EP, the first of three, and it’s some of who we are and some of where we’re going. It’s on pre- sale right now on iTunes and you be able to get the physical from live shows and Any good music store.
- I Can Hear You
Buy FORM & FUNCTION, PART 1 on iTunes NOW:
MA: Any special guests that feature on the album that you wish to mention?
– Tt was produced by Denholm Harding and engineered by Brendyn Rossouw and they’ve left their mark for sure. No guest artists for this one though.
MA: Will you be doing somewhat of a tour with the release of the EP?
– The tour is planned and publicized on your FB page so check out when we’re in your city.
9 October 2015 // Arcade Empire // Pretoria
10 October 2015 // Rivonia Barnyard // Johannesburg
13 October 2015 // Willowbridge Barnyard Theatre // Cape Town
26 October 2015 // Cresta Barnyard Theatre // Johannesburg
30 October 2015 // McArthur’s Pool // Port Elizabeth
More dates to be announced soon.
MA: Anything that you are currently working on that we would be interested in hearing about?
– At the moment it’s all album tour until the end of the year, which is going to be a step up for us. And then it’s back into studio for the next part of the album by January! So fans are going to be getting new tunes all year round.
MA: Where can we follow you on Social media?
MA: Thanks for your time…!!
– No thank you!
Lets show our support of local music by downloading this EP and showing up to any of these EP launch events!!