Date: Sunday, 6 May 2018
Venue: Voortrekker Monument, PTA
Entrance: R140 online at http://www.parkacoustics.co.za, R165 at the gate.
(Free for children under the age of 6, R15 per vehicle at entrance of nature reserve.)
Time: Gates open 10AM – 18h00PM
Line-Up: Dan Patlansky, Rubber Duc, Boxer, The Barbosa Experience, Stone Jets, Lil Bow and More!
Facebook Event: https://bit.ly/2EW08ch
- Hello gents, rad to be chatting, how you doing?
Why hello there, always rad to be chatting. Yuss but we are doing great thanks! Especially because of the fact that our faves SA show is coming up – PARK FREAKING ACOUSTICS!
- Do you mind starting with a quick 101 on who Boxer are? Where in SA are you from and how did you get started in the music scene?
Haha BOXER 101 or shall we say badminton 102? BOXER is a jozi based band made up of 5 pipe hitting badminton players (Not really but kinda…). Well all of us came from bands back in the day (COLUMBUS, Dead Alphabet, Sick Chicken, Linksfield boys choir) and by some form of divine intervention we ended up together. It is more of a relationship than anything else. Some say we are more of a feeling.
- What are some of your musical influences?
Hmm so many to choose from. Locally – Shadowclub, Hello Beautiful, New Holland, Desmond & The Tutus. Internationally it ranges from vibes like Rage Against the Machine, Tame Impala, The Foals, Queens of the Stone Age, Fidlar, all the way to more electro vibes like MGMT, Daft Punk, Le Femme. The list goes on to be honest. Kinda why we have such a weird sound.
- Do you have any major highlights in your musical career thus far?
Wow, we have been blessed with some of the show opportunities given to us. Oppikoppi was a major highlight, Mieliepop Festival, Splashy Fen, Lush Festival and of course Park Acoustics stand out. Heres hoping to many more exciting shows.
- What are your thoughts of our local music scene at the moment?
Absolutely amazing. The unique and creative music coming out of RSA is mind blowing at the moment. We feel JHB is lacking in venues at the mo, however that just means the locals bands are getting more and more creative to make shows happen.
- Any acts/bands/artists that you think need a special mention?
Go Barefoot is always amazing – they are like our brother band. Hello Beautiful always melts our faces. Then Bongeziwe Mabandla and BCUC are cooking at the moment – very proud that they are representing RSA overseas..
- You will be playing at Park Acoustics this month, alongside some talented acts, including Dan Patlansky…. Are you excited for the gig? What can we expect from your set?
Excited? We already have heart palpitations. What an epic line up to be apart of. You can expect some of this and some of that, but most some of that 😉
- Anything else you currently working on that we may be interested in?
We host a dirty JHB party called DANK that we are pretty gosh darn proud of. We just held the 10th one and it was pretty dam epic. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for the next one coming up. Oh, We also have quite a bit of new music to release… we are really bad at releasing stuff but we are working on it.
- Where can people follow you on Social Media?
No matter where you are online, be it youtube, facebook or instagram. You can always find us under @thebandboxer.
- Thanks for your time!
No no no, thank you!