With only 3 days remaining between now and the most epic festival that Africa has to offer, we have received a press release from Hilltop Live for distribution. Read further to find out all that you may need to know ahead of OPPIKOPPI ODYSSEY…
3 days to go before the gates of Koppi open, gods, goddesses, demi-gods, take heed of our laws…
Over 140 artists and 20 000 festival goers are counting down the final days to this year, the 20th Anniversary, of the much beloved Oppikoppi in partnership with Windhoek Draught, Red Bull Studios Cape Town, 5fm,, MK, MTV and our official technical partner Samsung. Northam undergoes a major transformation as parent’s couches, outfits and more descend on the small town 2 hours outside of Pretoria.
The line up for the 2014 event includes a number of our partners returning with special days planned, including the HOMECOMING PICNIC STAGE in partnership with Channel O on Friday. The Skellum stage will be transformed with performances by the who’s who in hip hop, rap, house and more including Reason, HHP, Blaklez, The Muffinz, Shimza as well as a host of Channel O and Homecoming DJ’s.
Bassline and Hilltop Live are thrilled to be celebrating a joint 20th birthday this year. For several years, Oppikoppi hosted a legendary Bassline Jazz Stage at the Top Bar. Join Bassline again at #oppikoppiodyssey for Urban Creep, Runaway Train Cult Collective, Albert Frost & Dan Platlansky, Madala Kunene, Jonathan Martin Band, Greg Georgiades & Ultra Natives as well as this year’s Tribute Performance – Hugh Masekela & Ollie Viljoen. Both musicians are lifetime greats and huge personalities in the South African and international music scene. Ollie Viljoen is a legendary accordion player who has been dubbed the “Boere Musiek Koning” by media and fans around South Africa. SAMA nominated for his album “Vuur en Vlam” in the Best Traditional Afrikaans Album category. Naughty, enthusiastic and ready for a tune – or three, Ollie Viljoen has been everywhere in South Africa, and usually brought the house down. Hugh Masekela, 51 year music veteran, trumpeter, flugenhornist, cornetist, composer, singer. Grammy & Tony Award nominated. His tunes made us cry. And jump. And boogie on the small bar. We can’t believe he’s 75 this year. And still causing problems. Just like we expected.
Oppikoppi regrets to announce that Ollie Viljoen will not be attending the festival this year. Ollie is recuperating in hospital and the doctor think that 3 days of rock n roll, dust, thorns and whiskey with water is not what he needs right now. Of course we have a different opinion on that, but we have been outvoted. For now.
We wish him well and will see him at the next festival.
The tribute with Hugh Masekela will carry on as planned and various friends of Ollie will participate to bring tribute to the legend that he is.
Joining Willy Mason, Cat Power, Sarah Blasko, Rival Sons, Aloe Blacc, Editors and Wolfmother, the Red Bull stage welcomes two international DJs to the bill – Sian (IRL) and DJ Marky (BRA). Be it Drum & Bass, Techno, Deep House or more, fans of the Red Bull Stage are in for a jam packed weekend with the stage running from 1pm till 4:30am each day.
While music will always be first and last at our festival, there are a number of fun elements through the festival, including;
– The limited edition merchandise from the previous 19 years festivals
– Windhoek Declare your Case – arrive at the festival gate and meet up with the Windhoek team and you could score limited edition merchandise from Windhoek
– Shifty Tax at OppiKoppi – Shifty September will be taking place in JHB throughout September 2014 to celebrate Shifty’s 30th birthday. The 25th anniversary of the ground breaking Voëlvry tour and to mark 20 years of democracy in South Africa. Show your support by Paying Shifty Tax at Oppikoppi. Festival goers can show their support by donating R5 at any of the bars at the festival.
– Poetry Blitz
In the beginning there was the word, and the word was Oppikoppi! Come see some of SA’s top poets and singer-songwriters read and perform their best poems at the Poetry Blitzes every evening t the Top Bar. Featuring Danie Marais, Jaco van der Merwe (Bittereinder), BCUC and Kobus Kotze (Die Dooie Diere).
– Dustbowl Olympics
Running of the gods
Dress like a god and take a lap in the home of our games
Boom Straat 500 Naked Dash
Back due to popular applause, the third annual Oppikoppi Naked Dash for laaities and girls with conviction. Rules;
Must run naked
Must have shoes on
Must wear sunglasses
Must have your own helpers at start and finish
Must finish a lap
Open to almost all males and females… (if you make other people feel bad / insecure by being naked or having better shoes, we can kick you out.)
– John Hogg Exhibition. 17 year Oppikoppi photographer vetren, John Hogg will be doing a retrospective Oppikoppi exhibition in the Paperslam area.
– The 2014 Oppikoppi album will be available on iTunes from Monday 3 August. 40 tunes from artists who have graced the stages throughout the last 20 years including Blk Jks, The Narrow, Seether, Sugardrive, Die Heuwels Fantasties, Bongo Maffin, Koos Kombuis and more.
– Download the official Festival app via your store. With everything you need to know about the festival, programme, artist information, maps of the festival, special deals and freebies from our festival partners and more!
– Entrance to the festival camping opens on Tuesday at noon (when the sun is at it’s highest for those who don’t own a watch). Make sure that you have your ticket as well as some form of ID with you when you arrive.
Short quick notes for all Prawns on making your life easier, safer and last longer at Oppikoppi.
No tickets to be sold at the gate.
No under 18’s
There are first aid tents / buildings. Look for them on the map and terrain now, so you know where they are.
Drink water whenever you can.
Bring sun screen.
The Redfrog team is moving in the campsite area to provide pancakes, water and general support. If you get stuck in funny situations, they can help.
Keep your valuables safe. Lock them in your car or leave them at home.
Your tent is not a safe place to leave cameras, laptops and iPads.
Don’t leave fires unattended.
When you leave the farm on Sunday please make sure your campfire is well extinguished.
Don’t accept open drinks from strangers.
No Chinese/Vietnamese/burning lanterns. They are designed to float out to sea, not over the tinder box dry bushveld.
Don’t come to the gate with tickets bought on scam sites such as Vagogo/Gumtree/Ticketbiz/Junkmail etc. You will be very disappointed.
Apart from our visible security Oppikoppi has many plain-clothes personnel roaming the entertainment area and campsite. Please report suspicious characters.
Hilltop Live has a zero tolerance for drug dealers at our events and reserves the right to remove transgressors.